Shoshone Community Language Initiative (SCLI)
Dammen Newe Daigwan Suande
Our people wanting to speak Shoshone
Shoshone Community Language Initiative (SCLI) 2017 Participants with instructors Norm Cavanaugh and Sam Broncho
The Shoshone Community Language Initiative (SCLI) is a four-and-a-half week summer program for Shoshone high school students hosted by the Great Basin College’s Great Basin Indian Archives Program and the Western Shoshone communities of northeastern Nevada.
Students will have the opportunity to:
- enhance their awareness of Shoshone culture and may be eligible for a stipend,
- experience a college lifestyle while staying on the Great Basin College campus,
- have an introduction to the Shoshone language for Great Basin College credit.
Click on image to left to read full brochure.
The 2017 SCLI Program ran from July 5 through August 4, 2017.
Who Is Eligible?
Participants for future SCLI programs must be:
- A high school sophomore, junior or senior for the school year of the program.
- Be EITHER a Western Shoshone descendant who is an enrolled member of one of the following Tribes or Bands:
- Battle Mountain Band of the Te-Moak Tribe of Western Shoshone
- Duck Valley Shoshone-Paiute Tribe
- Duckwater Shoshone Tribe
- Elko Band of the Te-Moak Tribe of Western Shoshone
- Ely Shoshone Tribe
- South Fork Band of the Te-Moak Tribe of Western Shoshone
- Wells Band of the Te-Moak Tribe of Western Shoshone
- Yomba Shoshone Tribe
- OR be a Western Shoshone descendant who is not an enrolled member of any of the tribes and bands listed above, but who is a resident of any one of the tribal/band reservation areas or service areas listed with a parent who is an enrolled member of any one of the tribes/bands listed (need not be the same community in which the applicant resides).
- Other Western Shoshone descendant applicants may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Priority in selection of student for the SCLI will be as follows:
- Enrolled member/living in or residing close to one of the eight tribes/bands.
- Student living in community with parent enrolled in one of the eight tribes/bands.
- Student of Western Shoshone descendant residing in one of eight tribes/bands.
- Other Shoshone/Goshute youth may participate with financial sponsorship from their tribe or community.
Send the Shoshone Community Language Initiative (SCLI) application AND ALL supporting materials
- by mail to:
GBC Continuing Education
Attn: Shoshone Community Language Initiative (SCLI)
1500 College Parkway
Elko, Nevada 89801
- by fax to: (775) 753-2276 ATTN: SCLI
- or by e-mail (as a PDF attachment): SCLI@gbcnv.edu
If you have any questions or are having difficulties, contact Norm Cavanaugh at (775) 340-1404 or firstname.lastname@example.org.